20080428

PFD

My personal flotation device in this sea called life is summed up in one word: hope.
I hope against hope that things will turn out alright. I hope for the best but find myself often preparing for the worst. Is this how life is supposed to be- Staring at the silver lining but carrying an umbrella just in case it should rain?
I don't want any surprises to discourage my course or put out the desire in me to live. I don't want to be blindsided by misfortune. I want to feel prepared or at the very least, that I am capable of getting through whatever may come my way. But how are we supposed to roll with the punches when the punches knock the breath out of us?
How am I supposed to plan for a future with someone knowing they could wake up in 30 years, hate me and want out? How are we supposed to live in freedom when there is so much to be afraid of? Do we just go blindly through life, falling in whatever potholes happen to be in my path, losing whatever falls off or goes away?
I guess my question is: how are we to go through life, hoping for a good future, doing our best to get there with the realization that it could all be gone tomorrow?
Is hoping for the best really all that keeps us afloat when the storms come?

1 comment:

Sally said...

Frankly, I don't know either. I wish I could be one of those people that just takes life as it comes and doesn't get too ruffled about it. Apparently, that is NOT the case... at least for now. I'm just in a "not sure where to go from here" kind of a place. And the strange thing is that life is not all that bad. It's just the what ifs that often make me want to curl up and stay out of life's way. ... but am I kidding myself? Can anyone stay out of life's way?